APRICOT GINGER ALMOND SCONES
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 11 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 diced crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper on baking sheet. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, and lemon peel in a large bowl. Add butter and blend with fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 3/4 cup heavy cream, and mix with pastry blender just until moist. Mix in apricots and crystallized ginger. Blend until incorporated. Transfer mixture to floured countertop, and divide in half. Pat each half into a 3/4-inch round. Cut each into 6 wedges, and transfer to parchment-lined sheet. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons heavy cream; sprinkle with sugar.
Bake until lightly browned, about 18 minutes. Cool completely. Store in an airtight tin. Rewarm in 350 degree oven.