Saturday, February 6, 2010

Comfort Cupcakes

Remember when I said that I needed to bake when I got home from Florida?  This blizzard we're experiencing provided the perfect motivation (not that I really need any to bake) for something with old-fashioned goodness.  Naturally, chocolate immediately enters my thoughts....and cupcakes are always a treat, since everyone gets their own, personal dessert to unwrap and lick those wrappers, since, well, some of the melted....and still a bit liquid....ganache remains on the cupcake liners as well as your fingers.  

So here's what I baked:
Chocolate Cupcakes with Marshmallow Buttercream Filling and Chocolate Ganache Frosting 

I used Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Perfect All-American Chocolate Butter Cake" recipe from her indispensable cookbook, "The Cake Bible."  The batter includes a cup of butter, eggs, and unsweetened cocoa, and produces the lightest cake result, yet rich enough to satisfy that chocolate urge.

The filling is one I've used in my Whoopie Pies, spooned into a pastry bag, then shot into the tops of the baked and cooled cupcakes.  

Nothing is better than a ganache glaze, so after bittersweet chocolate was melted and whisked with simmered heavy cream and a bit of light corn syrup added for shine, I spooned equal amounts over the tops of the cupcakes. 


(You can see my pot of coffee (Italian Roast) along with my milk frother in the background)

May I say, "Yum?"

No comments:

Post a Comment