Sunday, July 11, 2010

Eat Pray Love



This book is a gem.  Written by Elizabeth Gilbert, it's a memoir described as "One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia. 

Well, I've just finished "everything" in Italy, and it was such a pleasure and an enticement to read Gilbert's salivatingly beautiful descriptions of her love of, and relationships with, Italian food, including the name of her new friend, Luca Spaghetti.  From her carpaccio rolled around hazelnut mousse to the "best pizza in Italy," I was ready to book a flight.  I can understand this affection for food, since eating is not just a means of sustaining life in an Italian family...it's more of a religious experience.  It's about savoring the tastes, the textures, and the aromas.  It's about sharing that passion with those you love. 

Yes, the book is primarily about a spiritual journey following her divorce and deep depression, but in her search and brilliant writing, I find myself answering and asking questions about my own life. 

I'm off to India; then Indonesia.  I'm tempted, however, to re-read Italy, since I hate to leave it behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment